Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wylliesburg, VA: Boydton man faces murder charge

A domestic dispute in Wylliesburg on Wednesday night has left a Chase City man dead and a Boydton man facing first degree murder charges in Charlotte County. Akim Simmons, 31, of Boydton was taken into custody shortly after a Wednesday night shooting which claimed the life of Alphonso Watson Jr.

Speaking on Monday, Sgt. Howard Hobgood of the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office said that his department had been notified shortly before 11 p.m. about a possible shooting on Roseland Road in Wylliesburg. Arriving at the residence, deputies found Alphonso Gregory Watson, 30, of Chase City laying on the floor.

Hobgood said that after the crime scene was determined to be safe, members of the Chase City Rescue Squad who had been on standby near the home were allowed into the residence. A call had been made for a medical transport helicopter but Watson was pronounced dead at the scene from a single gunshot wound to the back of the neck.

“According to witnesses,” said Sgt. Hobgood, “Simmons was at the home with the female. Watson, a possible former boyfriend and father of her three year old, came to the residence. He was told to leave but he forced his way in and there was an altercation,” said Sgt. Hobgood. “Simmons apparently went to his vehicle and got a 9 mm handgun. He came back and one shot was fired. Watson was struck in the back of the neck.”

The couple’s three year old son was said to be in the home at the time of the shooting.

Simmons, according to Sgt. Hobgood, left the residence before officers arrived. Simmons did, however, call the young woman shortly after leaving.

“We were able to speak with him and he said he would meet me at the Mecklenburg-Charlotte County line,” said Sgt. Hobgood. “Simmons was taken into custody without incident,” added Sgt. Hobgood,

Simmons remains in custody in the Charlotte County Jail with no bond pending a preliminary court appearance scheduled for Jan. 5.

Funeral services for Alphonso Watson, Jr., were held on Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. with interment at Silone Baptist Church. Reverend Melvin J. Palmer officiated.

No comments: