Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Schenectady, NY: Schenectady woman charged in boyfriend's death

Schenectady Police say a domestic dispute ends with a 51-year-old man dead and his 49-year-old girlfriend charged with stabbing him to death.
It happened late Sunday night along Van Vranken Avenue in the city, very close to Union College.

49-year-old Jacqueline Smalls cried out loud and put her head down several times as she was arraigned in Schenectady City Court, charged with manslaughter for killing live-in boyfriend 51-year-old Adrian King.

Police say the couple had a history, but a woman who says she is friends with them tells FOX23 News she doesn't see any way that smalls could have done this.

An emotional Jacqueline Smalls was led from Schenectady Police headquarters to a van to take her to the county jail.

She's accused of stabbing her boyfriend Adrian King in the chest at their Van Vranken Avenue home Sunday night.

Schenectady Police Lt. Mark McCracken said, “It appears to be a domestic dispute between the victim and his girlfriend.”

And police spokesman Lieutenant Mark McCracken says it was not the first, that city officers have been called to 1512 Van Vranken multiple times in the past, but could not say how many times or how recently.

A woman who was visiting an upstairs apartment described what she heard.

“I didn't hear anything until they came outside screaming,” said the woman. “I don't know what happened. I heard something about a back door, but I was in the front of the house, but we can't hear. If you have the TV on and the fans going - you can't hear what's going on in the back. Only thing I heard was screaming before the police got here.”

A neighbor who did not want to be seen on camera says smalls and king fought, but not like this, and that they were both very nice people, well-known for helping their neighbors - and she says there is no way Smalls killed him.

“She found out that her boyfriend had passed away this morning, and she doesn't understand what's going on,” said the neighbor. “She was traumatized. She was brought to the hospital last night for hyperventilating herself, and when she was stabilized, that's when they took her and it's just a wrong person being charged with something right now.”

Some relatives of Smalls and King were outside the police station before her arraignment and said only that they were there to support both of them but didn't know enough about what had happened to say anything else.

The case is set to go to the grand jury later this week.

No comments: