Monday, November 26, 2012

Chicago, IL: Stabbing suspect called Rev. Pfleger in tears

A judge Sunday ordered Demetrius Jackson, 32, of Chicago, to be held without bond in the fatal stabbing of his neighbor Wednesday night.
The Rev. Michael Pfleger said Sunday that Jackson had called him “crying and remorseful” after the stabbing of William Terry, a neighbor who had tried to intervene in a domestic dispute between Jackson and and his wife outside the couple’s Roseland home.
Prosecutor Brad Dickey said Sunday that Jackson had gotten into an argument with his wife about 7:10 p.m. Wednesday at their home in the 10300 block of South Forest Avenue and threatened her with a kitchen knife in front of children, prosecutor Brad Dickey said.
She ran to Terry’s home, where police were called, Dickey said. Terry, 55, and the woman then went back to the Jackson home, and Jackson came outside and confronted them.
Jackson then went back inside and came out threatening Terry with a kitchen knife, Dickey said. When Jackson swung the knife, Terry fell to the ground and Jackson jumped on top of him and stabbed him repeatedly. Jackson fled in a van, police said.
Terry staggered home bleeding and gasping for air and collapsed on his porch, Dickey said. Terry was declared dead about an hour later at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office, which ruled his death a homicide.
Jackson worked in the Chicago Public Schools Safe Passage Program through Pfleger’s church, St. Sabina. The program pays employees with grant money to help children get to and from school safely.
Jackson fled the scene in a van, police said. He called Pfleger “crying and remorseful” Thursday morning, Pfleger said.
Pfleger said Jackson told him that Terry had punched him in the face and he stabbed him in a “knee-jerk reaction.” Jackson did not know that Terry had died when he called Pfleger.
Pfleger encouraged Jackson, who was “frightened,” to turn himself in and “let the court decide if it was self-defense.”
“We talked on the phone and he and I prayed together, and at that point he agreed to turn himself in,” Pfleger said.
Jackson surrendered to police at 9:25 a.m. Friday, according to court documents.
Prosecutors said numerous people witnessed the attack, and Jackson confessed to the murder on video.
Jackson was charged with one count of first-degree murder and Judge Edward Harmening ordered him to be held without bond Sunday.

No comments: