Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lexington, KY: Fight Path: After parents' murder-suicide, XFC's Julio Gallegos fixing family name

by Kyle Nagel on Jul 01, 2010 at 4:30 pm ET
Gerardo "Julio" Gallegos, like many fighters, is trying to make a name for himself in mixed martial-arts.

But, in a way, he's also trying to erase the effect his name has.

"I fight to take my last name out of the dirt for what my dad did to it," Gallegos told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Half my family doesn't even talk to me because of what he did, but I'm trying to do good with it, to make it a better name."

When Gallegos was just into his teenage years, his parents had another in a line of arguments that littered their relationship – one Gallegos describes as abusive. They had just closed the restaurant the family owned in Lexington, Ky., for the night.

But this night was different. It ended with Gallegos' father killing his mother with a shotgun blast and then turning the shotgun on himself in a murder-suicide. The tragedy has become infamous in the city and tore apart Gallegos' family.

After years of anger troubles and stops in jail for a string of misdemeanor offenses, Gallegos has stabilized his life, and he has turned his attention on improving lives for others.

His vehicle is fighting, and he hopes to continues his success (he's 4-0 in the fast-growing Xtreme Fighting Championships) with a 185-pound bout against Mike Bernhard (7-2) at "XFC 11: The Next Generation." The HDNet-televised event takes place July 9 at the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa, Fla.

Outside of fighting, the 27-year-old Gallegos spends his time raising his young family (his fiancée, Zeena, is also his manager) in Lexington while contributing money and awareness for cancer research. It is a life that experienced early, unimaginable tragedy, then became more focused when he turned his angry street fighting into a career.

"I try to help people forget about their problems for two or three minutes in a round," Gallegos said. "It's something that brings me so much joy, and I want to try to help others through it."

Years of trouble

While growing up, Gallegos felt strong love from both of his parents, he said. They attended his youth sporting events and encouraged him in athletics, where he had significant skill.

But their relationship with each other was different.

"It was abusive," Gallegos said. "My father beat my mother quite a bit."

After that stormy relationship culminated in their deaths, Gallegos moved in with his grandfather in nearby Danville, Ky., but he only stayed there until he moved out at 17 and finished high school while living on his own.

Gallegos, meanwhile, dealt with anger issues that would last for years.

"I was always fighting," he said. "I just couldn't release my anger, but that was the only way I knew how to try.

"I tried counseling and talking to someone, but I felt like this was a person who had a college degree and a great life. How could they understand what I was dealing with?"

Gallegos later spent time in and out of jail, which made obtaining a job more difficult during his times on the outside. Then, he met a woman.

Zeena was a manager at a bar that Gallegos went to, and he learned that she could listen to and understand his problems. They shared their issues with each other, including Gallegos' difficulty in finding direction.

"She said, 'If I can get you a fight, would you take it?'" Gallegos said. "She researched how the game worked, and she found a way to make it happen."

That was 2007, and Gallegos took his first amateur MMA fight with no specific training and still dealing with personal issues. But, he loved it.

"It was like going back home; it felt so comfortable," Gallegos said. "But it was the hardest thing I ever did. I knew about 45 minutes after that fight that it was something I wanted to take more seriously."

Helping others

As he started his fighting career, the rest of Gallegos' life was also coming into focus.

During one of his periods in jail, Gallegos had Zeena help him research how to start a business. That began J and Z Cleaning Inc., a cleaning service for homes, businesses and other needs. Later, it also spawned J and Z Elite Mowing, which continued Gallegos' entrepreneurial spirit.

His family was also growing. He and Zeena have two children together, a boy and a girl. He found his regular gym, Reaction MMA in Lexington, and the training produced an 8-2 amateur record before he started his undefeated run in the XFC.

After his own life improved, he turned his attention to others.

Gallegos has become heavily involved with a group called Fight for Life USA, which raises funds and awareness for the battle against cancer. He has helped directly in fundraising while also trying to aid patients with his fighting.

At his most recent fight – a 34-second TKO of former UFC fighter Shane Primm at XFC 10 that kept him undefeated in four fights since February 2009 – he walked into the cage with one of those patients with whom he had become close.

As he continues his successful fighting career, manages his businesses, and grows his family, Gallegos often wonders what his parents would think of his accomplishments.

"I think about them every day," Gallegos said. "I hope they would be proud of what I've done with my life, and I wonder what they would think about my lady and my kids. But I've tried to do my best to make it a better life for all of us."

No comments: