Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kansas City, KS: Pair’s death in car appears to be murder-suicide, KC police say

A young couple’s troubled marriage came to a bloody, violent end Tuesday with their three young sons as witnesses.Jedidiah and Alyshia Alexander died of gunshot wounds in what appeared to be a murder-suicide as they sat in a car outside his mother’s house in the 2600 block of Cypress Avenue, Kansas City police said Wednesday.The couple’s sons — aged 1, 2 and 3 — were in the car’s back seat. The boys were not injured physically and are being cared for by relatives, police said.Police said they are waiting for the medical examiner’s ruling before releasing final results of the investigation.Jedidiah Alexander was 25 and his wife 24. Wyandotte County District Court records show that they got married in early 2009.The couple was separated, but she continued to let the boys see their father, according to relatives.On Tuesday, Alyshia Alexander had driven from her home in Kansas City, Kan., with the children for one of those visits, said her brother, Alfred Vine.“I was the last one to talk to her before she went over there,” Vine said. “She said ‘I’m going to drop the boys off.’”Vine said he and his sister were born within a year of each other and always had been very close.“I took care of her,” he said. “What hurts me the most … I couldn’t be there,” he said.The couple’s marriage had been rocky, Vine said, and his sister was planning on seeking a divorce, although her husband was resisting it.“She was ready to move on,” Vine said.Last March, Kansas City police were called after the couple got into an argument. Jedidiah Alexander allegedly shoved his wife in the face with an open hand and then broke the windshield of her car, according to police reports.He was charged in Kansas City Municipal Court with assault, but the case was closed without being prosecuted. The reason for the non-prosecution is not public because the case is closed, city officials said.Court records in Wyandotte County show that he was arrested on a domestic battery charge in 2010. But the records don’t reflect the circumstances of the case or its disposition. Court officials on Wednesday did not return calls seeking information on the case.Alyshia grew up in Kansas City, Kan., and attended J.C. Harmon High School. Her brother said he wasn’t sure how she met her husband.Vine described her as a caring and loving mother and sister.“Everything about her was sweet,” he said.Members of her family are caring for the three boys, and Vine said Wednesday they were doing well.“We had a real bond,” he said of his sister. “It hit me really hard.”To reach Tony Rizzo, call 816-234-4435 or send email to
Read more here:

No comments: