Saturday, April 9, 2011

Indianapolis, IN: Man Who Killed Ex-Girlfriend Gets 50 Years

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man who held his ex-girlfriend captive for more than three hours during a SWAT standoff before fatally shooting her and wounding himself was sentenced to 50 years in prison Friday.

Christopher Allen, 41, pleaded guilty to murder in the November 2006 killing of Angela D. Dees, 38, in a home in the 8200 block of Crook Drive in the Valleys subdivision, 6News' Derrik Thomas reported.
Allen, who was originally charged with murder, burglary, criminal confinement, battery and carrying a handgun without a license, also shot himself and Dees' then-15-year-old son during the incident.

The boy recovered from his injuries. Allen is paralyzed on his right side and is confined to a wheelchair, his attorneys said.

Allen apologized to Dees' family in court Friday.

"I wish I could change places with her," he said. "I have to man up and do my time. I'm truly sorry."

Dees' mother, Tella Wright, said no prison term would be long enough for Allen.

"It still wouldn't be enough. Not for my daughter's life," she said. "Nothing would be enough. I'd rather have her back."

Allen and Dees dated for about a year, but she had broken up with him shortly before the shooting. Allen never explained in court why he killed Dees.

He cannot appeal the sentence.

No comments: