Saturday, March 13, 2010

French Settlement, LA: Murder-suicide near French Settlement

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 4:47 PM EST
Updated: Mar 12, 2010 11:57 PM EST
)

FRENCH SETTLEMENT, LA (WAFB) - A Livingston Parish couple and their son are dead after a murder-suicide near French Settlement.

The bodies of Joseph Shannon Shaffett, 39, Courtney Triche Shaffett, 33, and five-year-old Reese Shaffett were found by sheriff's deputies shortly before 3 p.m. Friday at a home on King George Bay Road.

According to reports, it appears Joseph Shaffett shot his wife and son, then himself.

"Words can't describe the feeling we're going through now. Let's not forget there are family members involved in this. Sisters, brothers, moms and dads, so it's just horrible," said Chief Deputy Jason Ard with the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office.

Ard said it is still too early in the investigation to tell why Shaffett may have shot his family. The Shaffett's have an older son, who was not home at the time of the shooting.

4 comments:

Clifton Newman said...

I grew up with the victim. We were (sort of ) related by marriage. It's a sad, sad day made even more painful by the fact that the family will never see justice, thanks to the cowardly act of suicide that followed this disgusting event. If that's the type of person Joseph Shaffett was, then good riddance. He and Courtney had been together for over 10 years. How do turn on someone you've been with for that long? How do you hate your wife so much you'll kill your son and attempt to kill your other son? Courtney and Reese will be missed. Can't say I'd ever say the same for Joseph.

Anonymous said...

No one will ever be able to understand why this happened. So many questions will remain unanswered, along with feelings of anger, hurt, and loss. I knew Joseph Shaffett and I know the type of person that he was. He loved his family very much and couldn't deal with loosing them. Their marrige was falling apart, their family torn, and two little boys were left in the middle. Despite this HORRIBLE AND DISGUSTING act that he committed, Joseph WAS a great friend and a great father. I know that he loved BOTH of his children more then life. He just let the problems he had, the depression, and the guilt get the best of him. I am in no way, shape, or form justifying what he has done. But I am standing up and saying that Joseph was a good guy, despite the bad things he did, and has done. My heart goes out to BOTH families as they mourn the loss of three wonderful people, one of which never had the chance to show the world how great he could and would be. Reese was a gorgeous little boy and lit up the room when he walked in. My prayer is that Noah not only learns to one day forgive his father, but also to know that his father did love him and his brother. I pray that he can be strong through the tragic loss of his family, everything he knew as his, and to take this and become better. I know that time one day heals the heart, but it never replaces the emptyness. I hope and pray that one day this precious little boy will one day have peace again

Unknown said...

Ashley, I couldn't agree with you more. I also could not have worded it as gracefully as you did!

Unknown said...

Ashley, I couldn't agree more your post. You have worded my thoughts and feelings perfectly. I pray that everyone involved will be able to forgive for both themselves and little Noah! I know that this is possible, time will heal. Everyone is in my prayers as I hug my two boys closely. Let this be a reminder that anything is possible and charish each day. My heart is aching from this tragedy.