Friday, March 12, 2010

Charleston, SC: South Charleston Man Pleads Guilty To Murder

The man who killed his girlfriend by setting her on fire back in 2008 says he was mad at the time because she called him names.

"I went outside and got the lighting fluid and put her on fire. I wish I could take that all back, what I did wrong to her," Farley Rhodes told Kanawha County Circuit Judge Charles King Thursday as he plead guilty to a charge of first degree murder for the death of Starlena Pratt.

Rhodes says he did not try to put out the flames at all once he set Pratt on fire at their home in South Charleston.

"When she was in flames, I just panicked and I was scared and I pushed her outside and I took off running," Rhodes said. Pratt died a month later at Cabell-Huntington Hospital.

Family members said the couple had a history of domestic violence.

Before he set her on fire, Rhodes claims Pratt was calling him names.

"What did she call you?" Judge King asked on Thursday.

"She said, 'You just like the rest of these guys. They're bastards like you and that's why you ain't no good, you SOB.' I got real mad cause I ain't got a dad and I ain't had a dad figure in my whole life and I just went and got real upset and I went out there and got the lighting fluid and I set her on fire."

Rhodes plead guilty Thursday to a charge of first degree murder. In exchange, the Kanawha County Prosecuting Attorney's Office has dropped the first degree arson charge against him.

He'll be sentenced on May 26th.

No comments: