Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fairfield, CT: Police say man shot self during standoff

Fairfield Police say 40-year-old man killed himself during a standoff sparked by a domestic violence incident Saturday night, Feb. 23.

Douglas Garni of 245 Sunnyridge Ave. Apt. 23 was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after police heard a single shot around 11 p.m.

Police were called to the Colonial Gardens Condominium Complex at 7:24 p.m. Initial reports indicated a verbal domestic disputebetween a boyfriend and girlfriend inside the condo. The girlfriend escaped to a neighbor’s condo, followed by Garni. There she reported being threatened and requested police.

Garni, police said, returned to his residence after officers were called.

The first arriving officers interviewed the girlfriend and learned Garni had several weapons registered to him, which were inside the condo.

A perimeter was set outside the condo awaiting the arrival of the emergency services units.

Bridgeport and Fairfield ESU, along with Fairfield and Norwalk hostage negotiators arrived on scene attempting to make contact with Garni, according to Fairfield Police.

Several nearby condos had to be evacuated and those residents were assisted by Fairfield firefighters. Residents were relocated to Fire Station 2 for the duration of the incident.

American Medical Response and Fairfield Fire Department personnel remained on scene and staged in the area of High Street and Raymond Drive in the event they were needed to provide medical assistance. The Fire Department also provided a heat seeking unit to help the ESU teams.

For several hours negotiators unsuccessfully attempted to make contact with Garni by phone and audible PA systems, police said.

Around 11 p.m., a single gunshot was heard from the wooded area just north of Garni’s condo. ESU members closed the perimeter, searching the wooded area, which quickly led to the discovery of Garni’s body.

Preliminary reports indicate that he sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

The area remained an active crime scene until 2 a.m. Sunday, until the scene could be processed by detectives and the State Medical Examiner’s office personnel concluded their on-scene investigation.
Police expressed sadness at the outcome of the situation.

No comments: