Friday, May 14, 2010

Phoenix, AZ: Police: Shootout Suspect Killed Sister's Abuser

Updated: Thursday, 13 May 2010, 10:41 PM MDT
Published : Thursday, 13 May 2010, 10:41 PM MDT

PHOENIX - A shootout between police and a murder suspect last week brought I-10 in west Phoenix to a standstill. And now, details are emerging on what happened.

Police were after 36-year-old Genaro Mercado. He was suspected of killing his sister's boyfriend -- and an order of protection is shedding some light on what led to that domestic fight.

In the period before the shooting, police say he shot and killed his sister's boyfriend, Jose Mancilla.

According to an order of protection, Mancilla had been beating Mercado's sister. One day before the shooting, the victim told a judge that Mancilla hit her everyday repeatedly, every time she tried to break up with him.

She says he also threatened to kill her with a kitchen knife, and whipped her back with a stick, leaving a large lash mark and bruises.

Officers were on their way to serve Mancilla with that restraining order at the home at 87th Ave and Lower Buckeye when Mercado shot him.

Neighbors took down his license plate, and when police caught up with him, the shootout sharted. His family is still left wondering why Mercado didn't surrender to police.

Mercado's mother Ana says, "My son was a loving son, father, and husband. He was not a violent person. All of our family is in mourning."

No police officers were hurt in the shootout.

2 comments:

Krisfederline said...

As Genaro's ex- fiancée... I want everyone to know that he was one of the sweetest & kindest men that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. The statement of his mother that was given to the news is not quite accurate as he was in the process of getting divorced & very far from happily married. Although the way that he chose to handle this situation was wrong, he died to protect his baby sister. The police did nothing to protect her from Jose who victimized her for years, so he felt he had no other choice but to take matters in to his own hands. He was a caring, hard working, very loving father and had the police done their job in the first place I would not be missing the only man that I have ever truly loved.

trina said...

As Genaro daughter i would like to let diz female claimen she waz my dads fiance knw dat he waz happily married to MARISELA MERCADO nd had 2 children and even threw da ruff times he still couldnt leave my mom he regreded everything he did with you all u did was mess up are family in da end be fore my dad left he was the one who told my mom he loved her ... my dad wazz a great and wonderfull man he is mine and my familys hero we all love and miss him so much nd we would do anything to have hime bbk my dad was not shooting at the cops to kill anyone and if the cops would have done there job the night before when they got the call my dad would have still beeen her but he did wat he had to and prtected us all frm a man who abused drugs and my tia and threated my brothers life. And fo all you dum ass people sayin my dad was illgal you needa shut yo mouth my dad waz born here fo all yo information